As the long days and breezy nights of summer begin to fade, we're gearing up for what is arguably the best season of the year: autumn.
But as the leaves start to change and the temperatures drop, countless people will resort to those unavoidable fall cliches — we're looking at you, pumpkin spice latte aficionados.
Instead of being, well, basic, why not branch out and breathe some new life into your seasonal celebrations this year? Here are 9 ways to to do it:
- Throw an autumnal dinner party in the woods. Gather up your best friends and trek out into the
with a front row seat to the seasonal sights and sounds.
- Pop some bubbly once foliage is at its peak. The crisp fall air is the perfect complement to a crisp bottle of champagne — as if you needed another excuse to pour a glass of the good stuff — and it's the perfect way to truly celebrate the changing season.
- Break out your ballgown for a midnight masquerade. Forget about zombies, goblins and ghosts this halloween, and celebrate in style instead. Don your most glamorous duds and encourage your guests to do the same — masks required, of course.
- Craft a seance-inspired tablescape. Invoke the spirit of a seance by creating a luxe crystal ball centerpiece accented with a velvet, scarf-like table cloth. Just don't invite any actual spirits to attend.
- Head somewhere spooky for a weekend. Haunted houses are so overdone and typically tacky, so why not pack up for a visit to a truly haunted hotel? Even if you don't encounter any ghosts, a weekend away is always worth it.
- Enjoy craft cocktails around the fire. What better way to warm up then with a fall-inspired cocktail and the crackling warmth of a fire? Feel free to imbibe outdoors at a bonfire or curled up next to the fireplace.
- Invite your friends over for an anti-ugly sweater party. Fall marks the official start of sweater weather, so there's no use waiting until the holidays to host a sweater-centric event. And why focus on unattractive knits anyway when there are much more fashionable options.
- Host an elevated movie night. Layer cashmere throws and sumptuous pillows on the ground to create a viewing area that is beautiful, cozy and oh-so-comfortable. Then sit back and enjoy a romantic comedy, or horror flick if you're feeling brave.
- Embrace the autumnal equinox. Don't let September 23 pass by without properly recognizing it. Toast the start of the season with some spiked apple cider or mulled wine shared with your fellow fall-loving friends.