• 4 6-oz. wild Bay of Fundy salmon filets, skin and all bones removed
• 1 head radicchio lettuce, cut in half
• 2 T olive oil
• Fine sea salt, to taste
• Ground fresh black pepper, to taste
• Peach Barbecue Glaze, recipe to follow
Fire up the grill. Brush the salmon filets and radicchio lettuce with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the salmon, flesh side down and the cut side of the radicchio on the grill.
After 2 minutes, turn the salmon and radicchio about 90 degrees, keeping the flesh side down, to create a checkered mark. After another 2 minutes, and depending on preference, turn the salmon over on the skinned side. Repeat the process for the radicchio.
Remove the radicchio from the grill and julienne with a sharp knife; refrigerate. Save for salad. Before removing the salmon from the grill, brush generously with the Peach Barbecue Glaze. Serves 4.
• 2 large heads of romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed
• 6 oz. Smoky Red Chili Dressing, recipe to follow
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
• ½ cup San Pedro, Cotija, or Mexican Farmer's cheese, crumbled
• Radicchio, grilled (see salmon recipe above)
• ½ cup tomatoes, diced
• ½ cup fresh hearts of palm, julienned
• ½ cup pomegranate seeds, optional
Wash and dry the romaine lettuce; cut into 1" dice. Refrigerate. Place chilled romaine leaves in a large bowl; add dressing in small amounts and toss lightly. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add half of cheese and the radicchio and toss again. The leaves should be coated lightly with dressing.
Divide salad equally onto 4 plates and sprinkle remaining cheese, tomatoes, hearts of palm and pomegranate (if using) on top of salads.
Parker County Peach Barbecue Glaze
• 5 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into small cubes
• 1 cup onion, finely chopped, cold smoked for one hour
• 2 tsp. minced garlic
• 1 cup fresh orange juice
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 2 T malt vinegar
• 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
• 1 T minced jalapeño
• 1 T fresh lime juice
• Salt to taste
Combine the first eight ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook mixture for 20 minutes. Add peach mixture to a food processor and blend until mixture is smooth. Add jalapeño, lime juice and salt and pulse the food processor a few rounds until mixture is well combined. Check seasoning.
Smoky Red Chili Dressing
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 5 cloves hot smoked garlic
• 2 hot smoked shallots, minced
• 1 hot smoked red bell pepper, seeds removed
• 2 anchovy filets
• 2 T Dijon mustard
• 1 T Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• ½ tsp. Sriracha sauce
• ¾ cup grape seed oil
• ¾ cup olive oil
• 2 red jalapeños, roasted and minced
• 1 T cilantro, chopped
• 2 T lime juice
• Salt to taste
In blender, combine mayonnaise, garlic, shallots, red bell pepper, anchovies until pureed smooth. Add Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, sherry vinegar, smoked paprika, and Sriracha. Blend until mixture is smooth. In a small stream, slowly add oils until dressing is emulsified and creamy. Remove mixture from the blender into bowl and fold in chopped jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.
Putting It All Together
Place the salmon next to the salad and serve immediately.
From Fearing's Restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton, .