• 1 envelope (¼ oz.) unflavored gelatin powder
• 1½ cups unsweetened chestnut purée
• 2½ oz. milk
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1½ cups well-chilled heavy cream
• 4 tbsp. (½ stick) unsalted butter, extra for buttering pan
• 3 large eggs
• ½ cup sugar
• ¼ cup + ½ tbsp. cake flour
• ¼ cup + ½ tbsp. cocoa
• ? tsp. kosher salt
• ¼ cup sugar
• ¼ cup rum
• 1 (14.8-oz.) jar candied chestnuts
• 1 pint coffee ice cream, softened
To make the mousse, prepare gelatin as in pumpkin mousse recipe. Combine chestnut purée, milk and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Whisk the hot gelatin mixture into the chestnut mixture. Whip cream, fold into chestnut mixture and chill as for pumpkin mousse recipe.
Make cake as for spice cake above—prepare the brown butter and whip together the eggs and sugar. Sift together the cake flour, cocoa and salt, and fold into the egg/sugar mixture as above. Bake and cool.
Prepare rum syrup as for brandy syrup, substituting ¼ cup rum for the brandy.
Layer in 8 glasses, substituting candied chestnuts for toasted pecans and coffee ice cream for caramel ice cream. Serves 8.