Owning a beach house is considered quite the luxury–what's more soothing than sand, sun, and ocean air? But your dream oceanfront home can come with a hefty price tag.
The experts at crunched the numbers and uncovered the ten most expensive beach towns in America. Real estate in these high-profile locales will cost you millions.
It doesn't come as a surprise that Malibu (shown at top) tops the list, with a median listing price of $3.6 million. The celebrity hot spot– where actor Patrick Dempsey recently put his pad on the market for a whopping $14.5 million–is about as scenic and exclusive as beach towns get.
Overall, California dominated the list, with six spots in total. The East Coast, though, didn't go unrepresented. Water Mill, New York, a pricey Hamptons enclave, ranked in at #2. Living in this elite neighborhood will cost you over $1 million, with the least expensive home currently on the market priced at $1.4 million.
Check out the full list below:
1. Malibu, California; Median home price: $3.6 million
2. Water Mill, New York; Median home price $3.494 million
3. Bolinas, California; Median home price: $3.374
4. Bridgehampton, New York; Median home price $3.25 million
5. Belvedere-Tiburon, California; Median home price: $3.194
6. Pacific Palisades, California; Median home price: $3 million
7. Paia, Hawaii; Median home price: $2.994 million
8. Newport Coast, California; Median home price $2.984 million
9. Old Greenwich, Connecticut; Median home price: $2.75 million
10. Corona Del Mar, California; Median home price: $2.748 million