The saying is true: there’s no place like home, especially when you live in the happiest city in the United States.
just released their list of the 25 happiest cities in America, and your hometown might've made the cut. With the help of analytics experts at Gallup and the author of “,” Dan Buettner, they developed an index to determine where Americans are living their best lives.
The most smile-worthy city on their list? Boulder, Colorado.
With its strong sense of community, access to nature, sustainable urban development and preservation policies, it makes sense that Boulder tops the list. Its residents admit to feeling productive and active pretty much everyday, according to National Geographic.
The study considered 15 different qualities associated with happiness, including healthy eating, financial security, civic engagement and vacation time. After almost 250,000 interviews in 190 metropolitan areas, the top ranking cities had three things in common: proximity to water, beautiful scenery, and bike-friendliness. Buettner said residents in happier cities smile and laugh more often, socialize several hours a day, have access to green spaces, and feel that they are making purposeful progress toward achieving life goals.
If you're living in Charleston,; Fort Smith, ; or Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, , AKA the least-happy U.S. cities, you might want to consider a move. Here are 25 places to check out.
25 Happiest Cities In America
- Boulder, Colorado
- Santa Cruz-Watsonville, California
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- Fort Collins, Colorado
- San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles Arroyo Grande, California
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, California
- Provo-Orem, Utah
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut
- Barnstable Town, Massachusetts
- Anchorage, Alaska
- Naples-Imokalee-Marco Island, Florida
- Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, California
- Salinas, California
- North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton, Florida
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, California
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Manchester-Nashua, New Hampshire
- Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, California
- Washington, D.C.-Arlington and Alexandria, Virginia
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minnesota-Wisconsin
- San Diego-Carlsbad, California
- Portland-South Portland, Maine
- Austin-Round Rock, Texas